Originally published 1989 by the Regent Square Civic Association
“An Overview of the Original Regent Square and Its Environs,” 1989 ed., was published by the Regent Square Civic Association. It is available at some local libraries. This website version was prepared from the proofs of the original version. While the intent in creating this website version was to provide a duplicate of the original printed version, several changes were necessary. These changes include replacement photos and maps, addition of links to more information, elimination of missing photos, and corrections to errors in dates and spelling. Also, an index has been added. However, we have attempted to maintain the content and theme of the original version as much as practical.
Here is more information [pdf] about how the original version was created.
We also have a link to the website version.
The RSCA is looking for additional historic materials and photographs to enhance the information on this page. If you have some that you can share with us, please email contact@regentsquare-RSCA.org .
Topographic Map [jpg] of Regent Square, circa 1925: A topographic map of Regent Square showing Nine Mile Run as a mostly open stream flowing from Wilkinsburg along the eastern edge of Regent Square through Edgewood and into Frick Park before the Parkway East was built.
The Old Keller Place: A description of the “Old Keller Place” [pdf] a small farm along the west side of Braddock Avenue between Henrietta and Overton Streets from 1870 until 1917.
The original article is also available at dpubs.libraries.psu.edu
Description of “Homewood”, William Wilkins Estate [pdf] Covering over 600 acres, this estate encompassesd much of the land that was to become Regent Square. Excerpted from an article published in The Western Pennsylvania Historical Society Magazine in July 1926.
The entire article is available at dpubs.libraries.psu.edu
Description of Homewood, Point Breeze and Surroundings [pdf]: As published in The Western Pennsylvania Historical Society Magazine in December 1976. The article is available from its source dpubs.libraries.psu.edu
Information on Hulley Houses A brief article describing a developer’s house from the 1920s found throughout Regent Square.
Information on Nine Mile Run Restoration and Frick Park. A timeline summarizing the story of the Nine Mile Run valley is available at nmr.collinsandgoto.com. Additional background information on the stream restoration is also available at nmr.collinsandgoto.com